Danbury, CT — The ECAC has proudly crowned Husson University as its recipient for the 2022-23 Commissioners Cup. The award is earned by an ECAC Esports member university whose program achieved in-game success as well as making a positive impact on campus and the community.
Husson Esports launched in Spring of 2022 as their first season in competition. At that time, there were 32 students participating and then the program grew to 45 students in the Fall of 2022. This year, the Eagles esports space consisted of 15 computers and 3 Nintendo Switches. Next year the Eagles home will grow to 35 PC’s, 5 Switches, 5 PS5’s, and 5 Xbox’s.
The Esports room has transformed from a competitive gaming space, into a place where students game, hangout, study, and feel a part of a community. Recently, Student Life completed a campus wide survey. One question asked students where they feel most comfortable on campus, and many students responded, the Esports room. “It’s been incredible and so moving to see what Husson University Esports has achieved in just one year. It has been an honor to work with their staff and students, they have been a game changer for the ECAC” Director of Esports, Lydia Fister said. This is in no small part due to the culture Esports Coordinator, Andy Michaud, and the support system Husson University Esports has on campus, it has become a true and welcoming safe home to all.
Husson University Esports has accomplished the achievements below during the 2022-23 season.
- Varsity Super Smash Bros, Rainbow Six Siege Club A, Varsity Valorant, Varsity Overwatch 2, and JV Rocket League all made playoffs
- Varsity Super Smash Bros finished 6-2 and made the round of 16 in the playoffs
- Varsity Valorant finished 5-3 and made the round of 8 in the playoffs
- Varsity Overwatch 2 finished 7-1 and made the round of 8 in the playoffs
- Raised $660.06 during Giving Day for Student Clothing Assistance Fund
- Raised $1,380 for sick children at Northern Light Hospital, through Extra Life, a program run through Children’s Miracle Network Honors
- 30 Students were awarded All-Academic Honors in Fall 2022 season
- 23 students were awarded All-Academic Honors in the Spring 2023 season
- 7 students named Players of the month and Week across the year
- 4 students named Player and Rookie of the season across the year
We are honored to receive the 2022-2023 Commissioner’s Cup on behalf of Husson University Esports. Being recognized for such an award is a great honor and the staff and students are all very appreciative of ECAC for choosing us as this year’s recipients. I am incredibly proud of all of our Student Athletes who not only strived to do their very best in gaming, but also found time to build an inclusive community that is accessible to all, and even took significant time out of their own busy schedules to give back to others both on campus and in the community. Although Husson University Esports is a very new program, our students are already becoming leaders amongst their peers. Thank you ECAC for providing an opportunity for us all to compete and interact with each other across the country. As we continue to compete, we will all continue to position our students to engage in life changing opportunities. – Andy Michaud – Esports Coordinator
At Husson University, we’ve worked hard to build a culture within our Esports program focused on inclusivity, and support for each other and our community. Being awarded the ECAC Commissioner’s Cup is proof that our Esports student athletes are living up to these ideals. I couldn’t be more proud of the work of our team and our students, and consider myself lucky to be a part of such a great group. – Troy Morehouse – Associate Dean of Student Life
ECAC Esports competition begins anew in September, with sixteen different game titles on the line for the fall esports season. Registration is currently open for any additional schools seeking to be part of the competition. If you are interested in becoming a member or would like to learn more about ECAC Esports, please reach out to Director of Esports, Lydia Fister, at firstname.lastname@example.org